During the three to five-day camp, Naturalists at Large will provide your students with a shared experience, enhancing the class’s sense of identity. All Naturalists at Large programs give the students a “sense of place”. This is accomplished by introducing them to the natural and cultural history of the Park while they explore the trails, study the various habitats, and live in the area.
Naturalists at Large will establish a base camp for the students. We provide all group camping equipment as well as a complete outdoor program. Anza-Borrego is a wonderful place for first time campers; a beautiful setting combined with Naturalists at Large’s central kitchen to provide wholesome meals and snacks make a perfect combination activities. Evening activities can include; star walks, night hikes, campfires, and other programs developed with the school.
Natural History themes can include the desert community, adaptations of plants and animals for surviving this land of little rain, geology, the stars, and the environmental influences on plant size and diversity during an examination of the Parks various environments. We will also stress the importance of safe travel in a region with little water and extremes in temperature. Emphasis is tailored to complement the goals of the school
- Desert biogeography
- Grid study comparing different micro-habitats
- Promote discussions on plant adaptations to heat/dry
- Explain water tables and why there is an oasis
- Effects of evapotranspiration in atmospheric moisture
- Learn how desert plants obtain water from different sources
- Observe morphological differences in species
- Learning to identify plants or animals that may be harmful to people.
- Use “Desert Tree Finders” to identify common woody plants
- Night walk to learn constellations, observe star colors
- Discussion of origin of the universe
- Minimum Impact to walk softly in the wilderness
- Leave No Trace practices
- Use of map and compass to triangulate your position; set up a compass course, students Use compass bearings to get to a designated point in the desert