For nearly 60 years, Camp JCA Shalom has been the “Camp for All Seasons,” providing thousands of campers a great site tucked away in the Santa Monica Mountains.
Located on the Shalom Institute's gorgeous Malibu campus, only 5 miles from the Pacific ocean, Camp Shalom offers expansive facilities that include an Olympic-size swimming pool, two outdoor amphitheaters, conference center, retreat house, archery and sports fields, ropes course, climbing wall, two waterfalls, nature center, the Marla Bennett Israel Discovery Center and Garden, miles of hiking trails, and so much more.
Naturalists at Large at Camp Shalom provides a place for students to live, learn, and play in a group setting that encourages personal growth and self-discovery.
• Freshwater biology
• Plant communities – botany, ecology, plant identification
• Adaptations of plants and animals for surviving this land of little rain
• Geology – landforms, continental drift
• The stars – cosmology, constellations, and ancient mythology
• Environmental resource management
• Water resources – pollution, sewage treatment, water sources
• Outdoor skills
• Invertebrate zoology and bird watching
We will also stress the importance of safe outdoor travel. Emphasis will be tailored to complement the goals of the school.
• The academic aspects of the program emphasize the study of water: fresh, marine, and brackish
• The natural history of the Santa Monica Mountains
• Man's role in the modification of the mountains
• Using natural resources wisely
Leadership development and decision-making is enhanced through group building and initiative activities.
Naturalists at Large is a leading outdoor and environmental education group in California. Since 1985, we have provided outdoor education programs for tens of thousands of students from over two hundred schools, offering custom client designed trips, flexible dates and locations, commitment to safety and comfort in the outdoors, the wonder of nature and the importance of outdoor and experiential education.